I indulged in some loaded potato salad at my friend Dana’s baby shower last weekend (no seriously, I had like 4 helpings) and I was SO obsessed that I just HAD to make my own. The next day. Not even joking. Hahaaa… ANYWAAAAAYS, It did not disappoint! I knew I had to share it with y’all ASAP so you can make it for all of your summer festivities. It’s so creamy and cheesy, it will please all of your guests and be the highlight of your event – I swear!
Okay, I’m a little biased toward the potato. If you’ve been a reader for a while you know this. So potato salad is the best part of BBQs for me, I can’t lie. Sure, I love to grill meat and veggies like the next girl, and I love the usual summer sides like corn on the cob or asparagus. But I’m fully obsessed with potatoes, so potato salad has the keys to my heart, every time.
Since this potato salad is SO easy to make it’s the PERFECT bring along for summer BBQs and parties. I will admit that it was even the first potato salad I ever made myself, so I feel like it’s pretty impossible to mess up! Anyone can do it!
cheese, bacon, potatoes.. what more could you ask for!?
To be honest, I’m not actually sure what ingredients Dana’s mom used in her version of loaded potato salad that blew my mind, so I just created my own, with all of my favourite baked potato toppings, and it is super delish. I think some people add a little bit of mayo, but I was making it for a BBQ at my mom’s and my mom DESPISES mayo, so I left it out. I think it’s perfect the way it is, but if you experiment with adding mayo let me know. I’d love to hear what you think!
- 3 - 4lbs of potatoes
- 1 full container of sour cream
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 package of bacon, cooked and chopped into tiny pieces
- 1/4 cup of fresh green onion or chives, chopped
- Peel, chop into bite size, and boil your potatoes in water with a bit of salt. Once soft, drain and set aside to cool.
- Set aside a small amount of green onions/chives, cheddar cheese, and bacon to garnish the top of the dish with.
- Slowly and carefully mix the remaining green onions/chives, cheddar cheese, and bacon with the container of sour cream and your potatoes in a large bowl until well blended.
- Top with the ingredients you originally set aside!
- Allow to chill, covered, for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
Let me know in the comments below if you give this one a try, I’d truly love to hear your thoughts!