I’m back with more soup y’all! I know you’re all quite shocked by this since I’m not at ALL obsessed with soup, right? Heh heh hehhh.. In FACT, I am about to complete the Whole 30 challenge, and the very first thing I searched on Pinterest for ideas was “Whole 30 soup”. See? Not at all obsessed.
In my defence, this buffalo chicken soup is one of my best soups yet, if I do say so myself. And if you like things with a little kick like I do, I know you’ll love it, too. It’s a HEALTHY soup, chock full of veggies and chicken, and the flavour helps kick a serious craving for buffalo wings that maaaaay not be part of your New Year’s resolution. I also LOVE this soup for Superbowl celebrations, you know, since it is a soup that tastes like a chicken wing!
The best part about this soup is that you can modify it for a Paleo or Whole 30 diet. Instead of using butter to sauté the veggies you can use clarified butter or ghee, or even olive oil. And instead of ranch dressing from the store shelves, you can use this recipe for your own homemade ranch, directly from the Whole 30 website. Bingo bango – compliant, delicious soup.
Since there’s nothing better than a hot bowl of soup on a chilly Winter day, and this soup is good for you (and easy to make), I encourage you to make a big pot and ENJOY!
- 1 tbs butter (or clarified butter or ghee)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 a medium to large onion
- 3 large carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 - 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing (use a Whole 30 or paleo ranch to be compliant)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop carrots, celery, and onion, peel and mince garlic cloves.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and sauté chopped carrots, celery, and onion with garlic for 3 - 5 minutes or until onion is clear.
- Place chicken breasts, sautéed veggies and garlic, hot sauce, ranch, and chicken stock in a slow cooker/crock pot, and set on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- Once the soup is ready, pull out the chicken breasts and shred with two forks.
- Place the chicken back in the soup, stir, and serve.
- Top with chopped green onions or tortilla chips.
Let me know what you think of this soup! Did you alter it to be Whole 30 or paleo friendly?