Do you ever wish you could avoid all the processed “junk” and not-so-good foods your little ones (and maybe mommy and daddy, too) love most? Me too! So this month I am partnering with Re-play Recycled to bring you some kids favourites made from scratch, or made healthier! I’ve come up with some delicious recipes that give you full control over ingredients while cutting down on the garbage and processed foods.
TIP: try cutting the pancakes into strips and offering real organic maple syrup to dip!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal (optional, but adds a nutritional punch to many baked goods!)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup skim milk, plus more if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- As much mixed fresh berries as you’d like (I just used the raspberries I had on hand)
- Mix the flour, flax meal (if used), and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk, salt, and brown sugar together until mixed well. Stir in the dry ingredients and the fresh berries.
- Place a skillet/pan over medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray, or melt a dollop of butter to grease the pan.
- Drop 1/4 cup of the batter on the pan per pancake. Cook until bubbly, about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until golden brown. Makes about 12 pancakes.
- Serve with more fresh berries on top, and real maple syrup!