What You Need
1 can whole peeled tomatoes, in juice
1 can of tomato paste
1 small white or sweet onion, finely diced and minced
1/2 a green pepper, finely chopped (optional – great way to ‘hide’ veggies!)
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
a pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Empty the can of tomatoes into a mixing bowl and crush the tomatoes with a fork, leaving them just a little chunky. In a medium sized pot, add the olive oil. Set to medium and heat for a little bit.
- Add the onion and green pepper (if you chose to add it), and sauté until you can see through the onions a little. Add the garlic and sauté for about a minute or until golden.
- Quickly add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to the mix. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add the basil and oregano. You may wish to increase the spices, garlic, and salt. That is personal preference and completely up to you! It just depends what kind of flavours your family enjoy. This recipe is for a basic sauce, and you can adjust it as you wish
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently for 15 minutes.
- To ensure a smooth sauce, add to a food processor or use a hand blender and blend until all chunks are smoothed out.